Thursday, May 7, 2015

So... What Do You Do All Day?

Cy has his job, I travel around with him while he does that. So, I get the question "What do you do all day?" a lot. Or sometimes it's more like "It must be so relaxing not having to do anything all day."

Well, kinda. 

I think sometimes people assume that Cy makes big money playing baseball so I just don't need to work, and since I don't have a career I just live a carefree life. That's not quuiiite the case. I briefly mentioned in this post that minor league baseball salary is definitely not anything to call home about. Realistically, it's just kinda hard to get a job when you're only in town for a few months and you might have to leave at any given moment with no notice, and your availability revolves around your husbands game schedule. (I'm still on the job search though, hopefully something works out! *update for clarification:  I am a Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant and love that, but I am referring to an actual job to go to during the day.) 

It's definitely nice being a "stay at home" wife. I enjoy having the time throughout the day to do laundry, or get dinner in the crock pot for after the game, or go to a yoga class or for a run. I get to explore around town, visit local shops and attractions, and spend time visiting with other girlfriends when they come to town. It's so awesome to be able to meet new people all the time at games. I have plenty of time to work on this lil blog ;) 

But honestly, it's hard for me to not have a role that I can use to define myself. Saying "Oh I'm a baseball wife" doesn't make me feel very credible most of the time. I have always been really involved in several things at once, so transitioning to my main responsibility being in the home is a bit tough- especially since we live with a (wonderful) host family and so it's not my home to run haha! 

However, it has been really good for me to have to really look at where I find my value and what I place my identity in.

I'm learning to be confident in who I am and in my role as a traveling baseball wife. These are things I have to remind myself: Having a job doesn't define my worth. I am not any less valuable to society because my role isn't in the workplace. The fact that I travel around with my husband doesn't make me any less smart or driven. Being my husbands #1 support is an important role in this crazy baseball life, and I'm glad I am able to be that. 

As a Christian, my greatest priority is to know God more and to spend my time and effort growing closer to Him, and helping others to do so as well. 1 Timothy 5:10 talks about biblical womanhood, that a Christian woman should be "well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the Lords people, helping those in trouble, and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds." Having so much free time right now really frees me up to do that. I love that I have the schedule flexibility to listen to podcasts, take part in different activities with a local church, and just spend time getting to know other people here. One day I will have kids, and having all kinds of time to spend doing bible study or investing in other people will be a luxury and not just part of my regular routine. I am learning to cherish all the free time I have right now!

So to wrap it all up... I try to keep myself busy. I try to make the most of my time. It's not quite as fabulous as it may seem. I'm learning more about myself each day, and I'm learning that I am in exactly the role that I am supposed to be, and I am so thankful that my identity is in Christ regardless of what is happening in my life. 



Thanks for hanging with me through all of this word vomit. Getting my thoughts and feelings written down really helps me to process what I am figuring out!

Xo, Han

3 comments:

  1. Love this, sweet girl!
    Your identity in Christ is what matters most and supporting your hubby is so rewarding for you. Plus, we met because of your traveling and I cherish that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! So thankful for that. I appreciate you, sweet friend.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete