Monday, March 14, 2016

My Favorite ST Event

Spring training is fun. The days are shorter than the regular season, and they start in the morning instead of at night- I love that schedule! You get to see friends and meet new people. You get to hang out in a warm sunshiny state ;)

My very favorite part of spring training is the annual Women's Luncheon, put together by Lisa Weston of Baseball Chapel and Rene Taubensee of Pro Athlete Outreach. They host 3 luncheons throughout Florida, and one in Arizona. The purpose of this event is to give wives/fiancees/girlfriends a day to come together and refresh and refocus before the start of the season.Last year my sweet friend Jackie invited me, and it was so amazing to realize that there are so many other christian women in baseball who experience the same challenges that I do, and to learn and grow together!

My friend Tessa, whose husband KJ played at DBU with Cy and is now with the Yankees, drove over from Tampa for the day to come to the luncheon in Orlando with me. It was so fun to hang out!!


This year, the main speaker was Jackie Kendall. She spoke about the principles in her new book Surrender Your Junior God Badge: Every Woman's Battle with Control. This was a great message to hear, since in baseball there is SO MUCH that is beyond our control, no matter how hard we try! Each woman in attendance was gifted a copy of the book, and I am so excited to dive in and start reading it!

After lunch we had small group breakout sessions, hosted by Gari Meacham and Vicki Rose. I went to Vicki's session, I was given a copy of her book "Every Reason to Leave & Why we Chose to Stay Together" at least years luncheon and loved the chance to her her share her story in person. It is incredibly encouraging to hear personal stories from godly women who have been in baseball for decades and can teach from experience!

I also got to meet 3 other Astros wives at the luncheon! They were big league wives and they were beyond nice and friendly to me- I am so thankful for that! I have only met 2 other minor league wives so far, so it is such a blessing to meet women who know the ropes and welcome you in.

There are two more luncheons this year!! This weekend in Jupiter (3/18), and the following weekend in Scottsdale (3/22). If you are a baseball girl around either of those places and haven't registered for the luncheon yet, send me an email and I will get you the link!! It is SO SO good and worth going to even if you have to drive a little ;) There is more info on resources for baseball girls listed at the bottom of the "baseball" tab here on the blog.

In other news, minor league games start this weekend! I am SO excited to get to see Cy throw again :) Alsoooo, if you didn't notice I did a little update on the blog and changed up my URL and title to "Simply Hannah Sneed" to be a little more fitting, since I was a bride well over a year ago haha!

Hope you have a great week!
xo, Han

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I love the luncheons. They are such a great reminder that we are not alone in this baseball life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new blog setup! This luncheon sounds like such fun too!

    ReplyDelete